A Hard Day's Night

The last two months have been agonizingly slow and incredibly fast at the same time. Over the last 48 hours I've finally started to feel nearly normal again. The cough-cold-flu-pneumonia bug beat me up from the inside out, but honestly, it seems like a natural thing when you consider it was at the end of the year over the holidays when not much is happening and everything is happening at the same time. A la fois, as they say in French.

Spent a few days in Portland, Oregon, on the tail end and worked like a horse. Spent 2 solid days in sweats drinking tea and madly crafting a crazy, silly, engaging romantic comedy. Treatment is done, so now I'm hunkering down doing movie homework and period research before embarking on the official script. I'm obsessed and doing exactly what I love. Travel. Writing. Exploring. Living.



This was my second visit to Portland since August, when I had the chance to explore a town I'd never really been in before. It's got an interesting history and quite a cultural life. The town is slightly unconventional yet normal à la fois.Each and every place I go is going to be a part of one of my stories -- at some time and in some way. So I travel and explore and listen and take every opportunity I can.
- Learning cool stuff at the Oregon Museum of Science & Industry (OMSI)
- Drinking craft beer and dining at Wayfinder Beer
- Rafting on Riverbend Park
- Cycling at Sunriver
- Dining at the pub, Reel M Inn (best fried chicken IN THE WORLD)
- Singing karaoke with friends at The Perch in St Johns
- Dining at the Buffalo Gap Saloon

It's almost surreal to imagine that this is what I'm doing with my life. The big question you all might have is how did I get here?

I came up with my first script idea in 1987. 30 years later I left my FT job and dove into writing full-time. I gave myself a year to finish two scripts, one of which is a romantic comedy that an agent suggested I write more than 15 years ago. Over the past year I moved to Hollywood, traveled to New Orleans, got accepted to a writer's retreat, wrote a play, wrote a movie, slept a lot, stayed up late, drank whiskey, got a disease, ran some races, broke my toe, reconnected with old friends, made new friends, bought some gear to shoot videos and record podcasts, and have been singing a lot in my living room. I'm on my way.

Everyone is multi-dimensional with gifts and interests. What are yours? Where do you want to go? Who do you want to be? Why aren't you doing it??

Writing has been the only constant since April. It's been a hard day's night but there's nothing else I'd rather do at this point in my life. This is only one dimension, but it's the one I'm riding now. I miss music. And I miss a few other things. More to come.

Comments