Christian Values

I have this wonderful friend, LK, was my roommate in graduate school. We met in French class and have become life-long friends. She inspired me to continue my journey with religion and showed me that you can be smart and focused and faithful and sweet all at the same time. She has remained true to herself in the best possible way. And despite an unhappy marriage, she stood through it strong and proud with her faith by her side.

One of my favorite memories was of going to the old Italian Catholic church in Monterey, an old adobe building with old wooden benches... just beautiful.

She has in the last few years been challenged by the worst of challenges -- divorce, death, sickness, work -- but has unfailingly continued to pray for others and stay the course to remain the best parent and best human being she can be, even if she has so many times had to put herself second, or third, or way down the line.

L- in the middle, on a rare visit to CA, with her college friend Amy

I often get emails from her, updates on her life and her family, sometimes asking for prayer. The one I received this morning was asking for "Pro Life" action, and to contact my congress-person. While I usually read these and move on, I have thought for some time that I wanted to address this issue with her. So I sent her an email back, just to give her something to think about.


Here is the email I sent back to her. With love, of course.

My darling L-,

While I appreciate your devotion to anti-abortion causes, I would like to remind you of the bible and of Jesus' commitment to the poor. Causes like healthcare, child development, mental health support, and welfare to work programs all come from the values that Jesus espoused. I will gladly take less to ensure that others can eat, treat their diseases and receive a good education. This notion that good Christians vote conservatively because we believe in the value of "life" is a fallacy. Christ himself espoused many other important values.

Some quotes for you:

John 3:17 But if someone who is supposed to be a Christian has money enough to live well, and sees a brother in need, and won't help him--how can God's love be within him ?

Prov. 14:31 Anyone who oppresses the poor is insulting God who made them. To help the poor is to honor God.

James 1:27 The Christian who is pure and without fault, from God the Father's point of view, is the one who takes care of orphans and widows, and who remains true to the Lord--not soiled and dirtied by his contacts with the world.

Psa. 82:3 Give fair judgment to the poor man, the afflicted, the fatherless, the destitute.

Psa 82:4 Rescue the poor and helpless from the grasp of evil men.

Prov. 21:13 He who shuts his ears to the cries of the poor will be ignored in his own time of need.

Prov. 28:27 If you give to the poor, your needs will be supplied! But a curse upon those who close their eyes to poverty.

So, if I can politely and gently suggest, while you may feel quite strongly about abortion, it is not a powerful enough reason to solely vote conservatively. The other issues, values and principles espoused by Christ are in many ways more important, more impactful, as they will ultimately lead to people having more information and better healthcare, and will help society to proactively address the issues that lead to abortion in the first place. Good will alone will not help us to ensure a just and balanced society for all.

Let us focus on ALL the things that Christ believed in, not just one.

Love you,
m

Comments