Home-time for Christmas

Christmas in my family has gone through some funny and unusual moments. When I was younger it seemed to go forever and be joyous and special, or at least I thought so then. Having my grandparents there leading the way kept all the chirping to a low roar, I guess. Strange how that changes when they pass on... but so sweet how in some ways it stays the same.

This year we all flew to the parent's house in lovely Port Townsend, WA -- three siblings, three significant others, four grandchildren, with a cousin, pregnant wife & daughter along to make it really cozy, all in one house. The flight was quick and peaceful, and we got a beautiful view of Mount Rainier, which sits at 14,410 feet, and is the most prominent peak in the Cascade Range. I was happy to hold and play with Lola for the ride. I'm grateful that my brother's little twins are such happy, peaceful travelers. Curiosity is a good thing... sometimes at least.

Every family has its own traditions, and I'm sure they all like to think of them as the best, special, unique. Ours have evolved over time -- crab for Christmas Eve dinner, cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning, rice pudding for dessert (courtesy of my great-grandmother from Sweden Jenny Sundeen), the paper chain (made by me over three years beginning in 2nd grade), and of course the beloved puzzle, which Santa delivers on Christmas morning. The rule is that we are all allowed to see the box cover and look once, and closely, but then it is put away and the puzzle must be completed by New Year's day. It becomes a great contest of skill, patience and insight. I typically drink, read or nap during these puzzle social times, or I sit and watch... clearly lacking all three of those skills.

These were all part of the celebration -- plus some really tasty tamales that my dad bought! -- and included gentle falling snow on Christmas morning, which we watched as we opened presents. Lovely.

But as many rodents know, being cooped up in a small space can be dangerous. By the end of the trip everyone was very throwing up and deathly ill. To top it off, when we got home the babies were still sick, and in a febrile fit, Lola threw her head back and broke Michelle's nose. It was, as my brother put it, the lingering vacation from hell. I'm planning next year's Christmas at my house.

Comments